Monday, May 4, 2009

Clicking and Moaning

The Inorganic production of sound
The clicking of clocks
The constant moaning of machinery.
It keeps me from you, dear melody, my dear stillness.

to me it is the beating heart underneath
the floorboards

no one else hears.

yet I am not without reason.
Rather, i wait and long for the day
I yearn |my| I yearn for
for the gears |machinery| this MAN-MADE machine
that click constant |fails| to rust and breakdown
to kink and break open

till then
This everlasting song and sound lay
Buried in the ground underfoot the the low hum of a factory of static

Self Glorification.

2 comments:

Christina said...

So first of all, I think it's neat how you used machinery as the imagery since in many of your poems and lyrics you use natural things or ideas. I think that makes the line about "inorganic" fit even more.

You know, when I heard the phrase "moaning of machinery", I was reminded of something. Well I finally realized that it was a verse that I was thinking of: "We know that all creation has been groaning as in labor pains up until now." (Romans 8:22) And then I read the rest of that section and I found a parallel to your poem. It talks about waiting for the redemption of our bodies, which is what I think you are talking about with your machinery breaking down and rusting. Maybe. I thought that was neat.

And the line about the man-made machine reminded me of a song called Cirles by Switchfoot that talks about "the modern machine" and about living life in a mindless routine (in circles), kinda like what you mean with the gears in your poem I think.

Man I just realized that I'm always comparing things to other things. One thing always reminds me of another. I think it helps me understand things better. But I do think your poem is really great. I love the symbolism. I will keep this for a long time in my heart.

Christina said...

hey you should write a blog again sometime =)